5812 Temple City Blvd., PMB705
Temple City, California 91780-2112
Vital Records of Stamford, Connecticut
Births - Deaths - Marriages
1652 - 1853
(From the Barbour Collection)
Order item B162FORMAT: PRINT
The book is 228 pages, NOT indexed, names are listed in alphabetical order, soft cover with a plastic comb binding, and available for $37.98 + $3.99 shipping & handling charge (Add $1.00 S&H for each additional volume ordered).
Order item B162.1FORMAT: ELECTRONIC (CD-ROM DISK)
The book's full text has been converted to PDF format which is easily searchable for key words, names, dates, places, etc. Priced at $14.95 plus $3.99 shipping & handling charge.
The Adobe Acrobat Reader software program is required in order to view these books on the disk. Using the Acrobat Reader program you can easily search for names, dates, locations, etc., which appear in the books. You can also print paper copies of the books. The software program and installation instructions are included on the disk.
Stamford, ConnecticutThe original name of Stamford was Rippowam, that's what the original inhabitants called it and the first European settlers continued the tradition. The name was later changed to Stamford after a town in Lincolnshire, England. What does the word Stamford mean? In old English Stamford means stony ford, and why was the town named for a community in Lincolnshire?
Lincolnshire furnished more than eighty percent of the original settlers in New England and a greater number of old English names to New England towns and counties than all the other sections of the mother country combined.
Anglo-Saxons are great believers in established titles. They have always been anxious to set up records of their transfers of land. Possessed of this instinct the New England settlers usually began their settlements with the purchase from the original occupants. The native inhabitants had no concept of private land ownership. It never occurred to them that people would put up fences, record deeds, and presume that the land belonged to them in perpetuity.
On the first of July 1640 one Capt. Turner for the New Haven colony signed a parchment that is considered the deed to Stamford. Signing for the native inhabitants was Chief Ponus, in return for a tract of land that extended from the Mianus River on the west to Bedford and Pound Ridge on the North, Five Mile River on the East and Long Island Sound on the South. Payment for this land was to be twelve coats, twelve hoes, twelve hatchets, twelve glasses, twelve knives, four kettles, and four fathoms of white wampum.
Ponus appears to have been the overlord of the entire region. But it wasn't just Ponus who made the deal. Four family groups dwelt on the land and they all agreed to the terms of the land purchase. It is however very doubtful that they fully understood the terms of the deed that they were signing. This deed was renegotiated a number of times and it wasn't until 1700 that Catoona and Coee, who are believed to be lineal descendants of Ponus and his family, confirmed all previous grants of territory to the settlers for considerable and valuable sums of money.
Questions or comments?
Return to GoldenWest Marketing homepage
© 2004 Richard R. Dietz, all rights reserved