5812 Temple City Blvd., PMB705
Temple City, California 91780-2112
To pay with your credit card - click on the "Buy Now" button
Order item B830
FORMAT: ELECTRONIC (CD-ROM)
The book's full text of 1,937 pages has been converted to PDF images which are searchable using the Acrobat Reader program's "FIND" function. All names are listed alphabetically. Priced at $24.95 plus $3.99 shipping & packing charge. (Add $1.00 S&H for each additional item ordered.)
The Adobe Acrobat Reader software program is required in order to view these books on the disk. You can also print paper copies of the books. The software program and installation instructions are included on the disk.
PUBLISHED BY THE ESSEX INSTITUTE, SALEM, MASS., 1916 - 1927.
The following records of births, marriages and deaths include all entries to be found in the books of records kept by the town clerks; in the church records; in the returns made to the Salem Quarterly Court; in the cemetery inscriptions; and in private records found in family Bibles, etc. These records are printed in a condensed form in which every essential particular has been preserved. All duplications of the town clerks' record has been eliminated, but differences in entry and other explanatory matter appear in brackets. Parentheses are used when they occur in the original record; also to indicate the maiden name of a married woman.
When places other than Salem and Massachusetts are named in the original records, they are given in the printed copy. Marriages and intentions of marriage are printed under the names of both parties. Double dating is used in the months of January, February and March, prior to 1752, whenever it appears in the original, and also, whenever from the sequence of entry in the original the date may be easily determined. In all records the original spelling of names is followed, and in the alphabetical arrangement the various forms should be examined, as items about the same family may be found under different spellings.
The records of the Tabernacle Church between the years 1735 and 1743 disappeared long ago. It is supposed they were destroyed or suppressed by Rev. Samuel Fiske. The records of the Universalist Church have not been found. They had disappeared before 1880.
Salem was planted in 1626 by Roger Conant and his associates who came from a fishing settlement at Cape Ann. The first colony of settlers arrived in 1628 under the leadership of Capt. John Endecott. The Indian name for the locality was Naumkeag.
Bounds between Salem and Saugus (now Lynn), and Salem and Marble Harbor (Marblehead), were established Mar. 4, 1635.
Sept. 7, 1843 part of Salem called Enos was established as Wenham.
May 14, 1645, part of Salem called "Jeffryes Creeke" was set off as the town of Manchester.
May 2, 1649, part of Salem was set off as the town of Marblehead.
Oct. 19, 1638, bounds were established between Salem and Topsfield.
Oct. 14, 1668 part of Salem called "Bass river" was set off as the town of Beverly.
June 20, 1728 part of Salem was included in the new town of Middleton.
Jan. 28, 1752 part of Salem was set off as the district of Danvers, which afterwards became a town. Much of this territory had long been known as, "Salem Village."
Sept. 11, 1753 part of Salem was annexed to Beverly.
Mar. 23, 1836 Salem was incorporated as a city.
Population in 1915: 36,826.
Questions or comments?
Return to GoldenWest Marketing homepage
© 2010 GoldenWest Marketing, all rights reserved