5812 Temple City Blvd., PMB705
Temple City, California 91780-2112
Marblehead, Massachusetts Vital Records
Births, Deaths, & Marriages
1653 - 1850
Order item B404
FORMAT: ELECTRONIC (CD-ROM DISK)
The book's full text of 1,261 pages has been converted to PDF format which is easily searchable for key words, names, dates, places, etc. Priced at $14.95 plus $3.99 shipping & handling charge. (Add $1.00 for each additional item ordered.)
The Adobe Acrobat Reader software program is required in order to view these books on the disk. Using the Acrobat Reader program you can easily search for names, dates, locations, etc., which appear in the books. You can also print paper copies of the books. The software program and installation instructions are included on the disk.
The following records of births, marriages and deaths include all entries to be found in the books of record kept by the town clerks; in the church records; in the returns made to the Salem Quarterly Court; in the cemetery inscriptions; and in several private records found in family Bibles. These records are printed in a condensed form in which every essential particular has been preserved. All duplication of the town clerk's record has been eliminated, but differences in entry and other explanatory matter appear in brackets. Parentheses are used when they occur in the original record; also to show the difference in the spelling of a name in the same entry and to indicate the maiden name of a wife.
When places other than Marblehead and Massachusetts are named in the original records, they are given in the printed copy. Marriages and intentions of marriage are printed under the names of both parties. Double dating is used in the months of January, February and March, prior to 1752, whenever it appears in the original and also whenever from the sequence of entry in the original the date may be easily determined. In all records the original spelling of names is followed and in the alphabetical arrangement the various forms should be examined, as items about the same family may be found under different spellings. All church records have been included, except those of the Universalist church, which were destroyed by the fire of 1888.
As early as 1629, the first settlers, many of whom are said to have been natives of the islands of Guernsey and Jersey, gave the name of "Marble-Harbor" to this tract of land which was originally a part of Salem, and ‘Great Neck’ to tht portion which forms a peninsula jutting into the ocean. The name Marblehead is first mentioned in the Colonial records, July 2, 1633, and is thought to have been suggested by the variegated porphyry-colored stones found there and called "marble stones" by Higginson in 1629. Wood and Josselyn also mention the locality as "Marvil Head." On May 6, 1635, the Court ordered: "That there shalbe a plantacion at Marble Head, & that the inhabitants now there shall have liberty to plant and imp've such ground as they stand in neede of." The population "was undoubtedly increased from time to time by people from Lincolnshire, which would account for many of the idiomatic peculiarities which for more than two centuries characterized the speech of their descendants." History of Marblehead -- ROADS. Marblehead was established as a town May 2, 1649.
The population of Marblehead at different periods was as follows:
1765, 4,954. 1800, 5,211. 1840, 5,575.
1776, 4,386. 1810, 5,900. 1850, 6,167.
1790, 5,661. 1820, 5,630. 1900, 7,582.
Questions or comments?
Return to GoldenWest Marketing homepage
© 2006 GoldenWest Marketing, all rights reserved