5812 Temple City Blvd., PMB705
Temple City, California 91780-2112
Vital Records of Haverhill, Massachusetts
Births, Marriages & Deaths to 1850
Order item B274 - Volume 1, BirthsFORMAT: PRINT
The book is 235 pages, NOT indexed, names are listed in alphabetical order, soft cover with a plastic comb binding, and available for $38.98 + $3.99 shipping & handling charge (Add $1.00 S&H for each additional volume ordered).
Order item B275 - Volume 2, MarriagesFORMAT: PRINT
The book is 227 pages, NOT indexed, names are listed in alphabetical order, soft cover with a plastic comb binding, and available for $37.98 + $3.99 shipping & handling charge (Add $1.00 S&H for each additional volume ordered).
Order item B276 - Volume 3, DeathsFORMAT: PRINT
The book is 107 pages, NOT indexed, names are listed in alphabetical order, soft cover with a plastic comb binding, and available for $17.98 + $3.99 shipping & handling charge (Add $1.00 S&H for each additional volume ordered).
Order item B146.1 - Volumes 1, 2 & 3 - Births, Marriages & DeathsFORMAT: ELECTRONIC (CD-ROM DISK)
All three book's full texts - 569 pages - have been converted to PDF format which is easily searchable for key words, names, dates, places, etc. Priced at $14.95 plus $3.99 shipping & handling charge. (Add $1.00 S&H for each additional volume ordered).
The Adobe Acrobat Reader software program is required in order to view these books on the disk. Using the Acrobat Reader program you can easily search for names, dates, locations, etc., which appear in the books. You can also print paper copies of the books. The software program and installation instructions are included on the disk.
EXPLANATIONSThe records of births, marriages and deaths include all entries to be found in the books of record kept by the town clerks; in the church records; in the cemetery inscriptions, and in the private records found in family Bibles and notebooks. These records are printed in a condensed form in which every essential particular has been preserved. All duplication of the town clerks' record has been eliminated, but differences in entry and other explanatory matter appear in brackets. Parentheses are used when they occur in the original record; also to indicate the maiden name of a married woman, and to show variations in the spelling of a name in the same entry.
When places other than Haverhill and Massachusetts are named in the original records, they are given in the printed copy. Marriages and intentions of marriage are printed under the names of both parties. When both the marriage and intentions of marriage are recorded, only the marriage record is printed; and when a marriage appears without the intention being recorded it is designated by an asterisk. In all records the original spelling of names is followed, and the various forms of family names have been placed in one alphabetical arrangement.
HAVERHILLThe Indian name for this locality was "Pentucket" - but the early settlers applied the name of Haverhill in compliment to Rev. John Ward, their first minister, who came from Haverhill, England. "Mr. Ward & Newberry men" petitioned the General Court on May 13, 1640, for permission to begin a new plantation on the Merrimack river, which was granted provided "they build there before the next Courte." Though the town was settled and houses erected in 1640 it was not until November 15, 1642, that a title to the land was purchased of the Indian owners. In June, 1641, the Court appointed men to determine the "bounds between Salsberry and Pantucket alias Haverell." In 1643, a law was passed by the General Court requiring a record to be kept of births, marriages and deaths in each town and in Haverhill, Richard Littlehale was chosen "clerk of the Writs and Town Recorder," and the first meeting of which proceedings are recorded was held November 6, 1643.
In 1645 the plantation of Haverhill was incorporated as a town. An island in the Merrimack river was granted to Haverhill on May 23, 1650.
October 14, 1651 bounds were established.
October 19, 1654 bounds between Haverhill and Salisbury were established.
May 18, 1664 bounds between Haverhill and lands of Maj.-Gen'l Denison were established.
December 8, 1725 the western part of the town was included in the new town of Methuen.
Questions or comments?
Return to GoldenWest Marketing homepage
© 2006 Richard R. Dietz, all rights reserved