5812 Temple City Blvd., PMB705
Temple City, California 91780-2112
To pay with your credit card - click on the "Buy Now" button
Order item B422
FORMAT: PRINT ONLY
The book is 75 pages, not indexed, soft cover with a plastic comb binding, and available for $12.98 + $3.99 shipping & handling charge (Add $1.00 S&H for each additional volume ordered).
All births, marriages, and deaths found in the town's records books covering the years between 1705 and 1830 are published in this book. Most entries are arranged in family groups, but not in alphabetical nor chronological order. The type is large and easy to read. Locating the names you are researching should not be a problem.
History of ChathamThe French explorer Samuel de Champlain guided his vessel past Harding's Beach and into Stage Harbor in October of 1606. The Native Americans here, who had been here for at least 10,000 years, paddled out in their canoes and greeted Champlain hospitably. Nevertheless, two weeks of increasingly uneasy contact erupted into a fatal skirmish under circumstances that are still unclear. Three of the Frenchmen were killed and one fatally wounded. Many more Monomoyick were killed by French musket shot. After a retaliation that included an unsuccessful attempt to capture slaves, Champlain weighed anchor, giving up any ideas of making Chatham a French foundation of state, and leaving the way clear for the English.It wasn't until 50 years later in 1656, when the first English settler ran a cart down the ancient Indian pathway with an eye on living here. Englishman William Nickerson struck a deal for four square miles of land with the Monomoyick sachem, Mattaquason. For this he paid a shallop, ten coats, six kettles, twelve axes, twelve hoes, twelve knives, forty shillings in wampum, a hat and twelve shillings in coins. This transaction took place, however, without the approval of authorities in the Plymouth Colony, and so, for sixteen years his purchase would be disputed until he settled with the courts by paying a fine of 90 pounds and obtaining written deeds from Mattaquason and his son John.This place was then called "Monomoit", as the Indians called it, and Nickerson immediately appealed to the court for incorporation of Monomoit as a town, but was refused on the grounds that there was no resident minister. Until the time when there was a population sufficient to support a church Monomoit would be known not as a town but as a constablewick. Nickerson gave land to each of his 5 sons and 3 daughters and built his house on Ryder's Cove on a spot now marked by the Nickerson Family Genealogical Research Center.
Questions or comments?
Return to GoldenWest Marketing homepage
© 2006 GoldenWest Marketing, all rights reserved