5812 Temple City Blvd., PMB705
Temple City, California 91780-2112
Bridgewater, Massachusetts Vital Records, to 1850
Volume 1 - Births
Volume 2 - Marriages
Volume 3 - Deaths
Order item B123 - Volume 1, Births
The book is 240 pages, NOT INDEXED, names are listed alphabetically, soft cover with a plastic comb binding, and available for $39.98 + $3.99 shipping & handling charge (Add $1.00 S&H for each additional volume ordered).
Order item B124 - Volume 2, MarriagesFORMAT: PRINT
The book is 234 pages, NOT INDEXED, names are listed alphabetically, soft cover with a plastic comb binding, and available for $39.98 + $3.99 shipping & handling charge (Add $1.00 S&H for each additional volume ordered).
Order item B125 - Volume 3, Deaths
The book is 116 pages, NOT INDEXED, names are listed alphabetically, soft cover with a plastic comb binding, and available for $19.98 + $3.99 shipping & handling charge (Add $1.00 S&H for each additional volume ordered).
SAVE ALMOST 50%
Order item B126 - For all three books (print version)
Buy all three books for $64.98 which includes shipping & handling charge and save over $47.00. (Add $1.00 S&H for each additional set ordered).
For all three books on CD-ROM disk - Order item B126.1
FORMAT: ELECTRONIC (CD-ROM)
Available on CD-ROM disk. File saved in Portable Document Format (PDF) which can be read by the Adobe Acrobat Reader program. This program is free and is included on the disk. You may then search the file for names, dates, and places using the SEARCH function. Cost is $14.95 plus $3.99 shipping and handling. (Add $1.00 S&H for each additional disk ordered).
The area known as the Bridgewaters was originally inhabited by Wampanoag who called it Saughtuchquett (Satucket). In 1642 Marshfield was established from the northern part of Duxbury and inhabitants of the latter petitioned for compensating land in the interior. The General Court granted their petition in 1645 and six trustees were appointed to divide the land - Captain Myles Standish, John Alden, George Soule, Constant Southworth, John Rogers, and William Brett. The action by the General Court was primarily an authority to purchase land, and Captain Standish, Samuel Nash, and Constant Southworth were appointed to make the purchase. TheMarch 23, 1649 deed which they signed with Ousamequin (Massasoit), "Sachem of the county of Poconocke", was witnessed by John Bradford and William Otway (Alias) Parker. The purchase was said to have been executed on a hill called Sachem's Rock.
Fifty-four original proprietors each received one share in the new land, and two additional proprietors were later added. The purchases of additional lands were granted in subsequent years. Settlement began after 1650 in what is now West Bridgewater, but only eighteen of the fifty-six proprietors ever lived on their new land. The area was at first known as Duxbury New Plantation, and was incorporated as the township of Bridgewater in June, 1656. On Dec. 24, 1683, the "great division" of the township into four parts was assented to by the proprietors, the central part remaining common land.
The first church in the township was established in the West Parish with the ministry offered to a Mr. Bunker in 1660, but it appears from the records that he never settled there as minister. About 1662 a minister's house was erected and the settlement of Reverend James Keith as the first minister was recorded on Feb. 18, 1664. He was granted one of the two additional proprietorships, the other going to Deacon Samuel Edson. A new and larger meeting house was built in 1671.
Many Bridgewater men fought in King Philip's War, which began June 21, 1675. Although some outlying homes and barns were destroyed and some livestock killed no Bridgewater lives were lost in that conflict.
The South Parish was settled soon after the West Parish, and on June 1, 1716, was incorporated as the second precinct. It encompassed what is now the town of Bridgewater. The Second Church of Bridgewater was established there, its meeting house was dedicated June 14, 1717 and its first minister was ordained in 1718. In the East Parish the meeting house of the Third Church of Bridgewater was raised on March 14, 1720 and its first minister ordained in 1724. On December 14, 1723, the East Parish was constituted the third precinct. Settlement of the North Parish began in 1679, and on January 3, 1738, it was incorporated as a precinct. The meeting house of the Fourth Church of Bridgewater was erected there in 1737 and a church organized with its first minister ordained in 1740. On February 4, 1743, the Titicut Parish was incorporated as a precinct lying along both banks of the Taunton River and including part of the current town of Middleborough, and having its own meeting house and minister.
Early Bridgewater industries included the manufacture of iron, small arms and cannon. Edged tools and the first machine-made nails were early products, and textile mills were in operation by the late eighteenth century.
Questions or comments?
Return to GoldenWest Marketing homepage