5812 Temple City Blvd., PMB705
Temple City, California 91780-2112
To pay with your credit card - click on the "Buy Now" button
Order item B148
FORMAT: PRINT ONLY
The book is 30 pages, not indexed, names listed alphabetically, soft cover with a plastic comb binding, and available for $5.98 + $3.99 shipping & handling charge (Add $1.00 S&H for each additional volume ordered).
HISTORY OF AVON, CONNECTICUT
The first settlers came to town in 1666 and founded an area called "Nod." By the 1700's, Avon was known as the Northington Parish of Farmington. Harsh winters eventually forced Northington to petition for "winter privileges" that would allow its residents to build their own meetinghouse, "The Lord's Barn," for use during the winter months. A split in the congregation occurred after the burning of this original structure in 1817 and resulted in the formation of two Congregational churches. Soon, thereafter, a Baptist church was organized. In 1830, Northington, increasingly independent of its parent community, petitioned the General Assembly to become a separate town. In May of that year, Avon was officially incorporated under its new name.
New England, often characterized as a land of schools, has always considered education a high priority. Avon was the same. Country schoolhouses constructed in the early 1800s were similar in design: rectangular, one-story Greek revival style with a high-pitched roof, as typified in The Living Museum. As far back as 1804, Northington had 200 pupils. By 1830, Avon had six schoolhouses, educating approximately 240 children.
In 1972, the National Register of Historic Places designated a section of West Avon as the Pine Grove Historic District. The District includes the Pine Grove Schoolhouse and 5 homes built prior to 1865. Signs designating the district are located at the entrances and exists on West Avon Road and Harris Road.
Questions or comments?
Return to GoldenWest Marketing homepage