5812 Temple City Blvd., PMB705
Temple City, California 91780-2112
Amesbury, Massachusetts Vital Records
Births, Deaths, & Marriages
1667 - 1850
Order item B402
FORMAT: ELECTRONIC (CD-ROM DISK)
The book's full text of 534 pages have been converted to PDF format which is easily searchable for key words, names, dates, places, etc. Priced at $14.95 plus $3.99 shipping & handling charge. (Add $1.00 S&H for each additional volume ordered.)
The Adobe Acrobat Reader software program is required in order to view these books on the disk. Using the Acrobat Reader program you can easily search for names, dates, locations, etc., which appear in the books. You can also print paper copies of the books. The software program and installation instructions are included on the disk.
The following records of births, marriages and deaths include all entries to be found in the books of record kept by the town clerks; in the church records; in the returns made to the Salem Quarterly Court; in the cemetery inscriptions; and in many private records found in family Bibles. These records are printed in a condensed form in which every essential particular has been preserved. All duplication of the town clerks' record has been eliminated, but differences in entry and other explanatory matter appear in brackets. Parentheses are used when they occur in the original record; also to indicate the maiden name of a wife.
When places other than Amesbury and Massachusetts are named in the original records, they are given in the printed copy. Marriages and intentions of marriage are printed under the names of both parties. Double-dating is used in the months of January, February and March, prior to 1752, whenever it appears in the original, and also, whenever from the sequence of entry in the original the date may be easily determined. In all records the original spelling of names is followed, and in the alphabetical arrangement the various forms should be examined, as items about the same family may be found under different spellings.
As Amesbury and Salisbury have been so closely connected, both socially and geographically, it will be desirable to examine the records of both towns when making researches.
The territory comprising the present town of Amesbury was originally a part of Salisbury. On May 23, 1666, "Salisbury-newtown" was granted the privileges of a town, and May 27, 1668 the name was changed to Amesbury. In the Massachusetts Bay Colony records the name is entered as "Emesbury."
May 12 1678, just and full bounds were allowed to Amesbury.
On Mar. 15, 1844, part of Salisbury, called "Little Salisbury," was annexed.
Apr. 11, 1876, part of the town was established as Merrimac.
July 1, 1886, part of Salisbury was annexed.
The population of Amesbury at different periods was as follows:
1765, 1,567. 1810, 1,890. 1850, 3,143.
1776, 1,795. 1820, 1,956. 1890, 9,798.
1790, 1,801. 1830, 2,445. 1900, 9,473.
1800, 1,757. 1840, 2,471. 1910, 9,894.
Questions or comments?
Return to GoldenWest Marketing homepage
© 2006 GoldenWest Marketing, all rights reserved