5812 Temple City Blvd., PMB705
Temple City, California 91780-2112
To pay with your credit card - click on the "Buy Now" button
Order item B155
FORMAT: PRINT ONLY
The book is 67 pages, not indexed, names listed alphabetically, soft cover with a plastic comb binding, and available for $11.98 + $3.99 shipping & handling charge (Add $1.00 S&H for each additional volume ordered).
HISTORY OF GREENWICH
The Town of Greenwich, Fairfield
County, Connecticut (named after Greenwich, Kent, England) lies on the southwest
corner of the state and is bounded on the west and north by Westchester County,
New York; on the east by the town of Stamford; and on the south by Long Island
Sound. On July 18, 1640, Daniel PATRICK and Robert FEAKE, in the name of New
Haven Colony, purchased all lands between the Asamuck and Potommuck brooks, in
the area now known as Old Greenwich from the native american "owners"
living in the area for a sum of "twentie-five coates." The deed was
signed by representatives of the tribe and witnessed by Robert A. HEUSTED,
Andrew MESSENGER, RASOBITITT, SAPONAS, WHONEHORN, AKEROQUE, WHONEHORN, AKEROQUE,
PAUONOHAS, POWIATOH. Greenwich thus became the tenth town established in
Connecticut between 1633 and 1640.
The first couple of years were rough for the early settlers because of disputes over who held control of the colony. The Dutch claimed the area and in fear of not being protected by New Haven Colony, the early settlers signed a 1642 allegiance to "the Noble Lord States General, His Highness, the Prince of Orange, and the West India Company." Greenwich then became a "manor" and Captain Daniel PATRICK and Robert FEAKS, the "patroons of the manor." (Captain Daniel PATRICK had married Annetje VAN BEYEREN, a Dutch woman from New Amsterdam.) From 1642 to 1650, the settlement of Greenwich was officially part of the Dutch colony New Netherland.
In 1650, the colony of New Haven and the Dutch agreed to boundary lines and once again, the small town of Greenwich reverted back to control by the New Haven Colony. For the most part, the citizens continued to live as they had previously, with everyone doing pretty much whatever they wished. In 1656, claims are made in New Haven that the residents of Greenwich "live in a disorderly and riotous manner, sell intoxicating liquors to the Indians, receive and harbor servants who have fled their masters, and join persons unlawfully in marriage." On October 6, 1656, Greenwich, represented by 12 men, submitted to the New Haven jurisdiction and was then told to "fall in with Stamford."
On February 5, 1664, the Seven Proprietors made a formal request to the General Assembly in Hartford to be allowed to separate from Stamford and to support its own minister and lay out its own lands. The Seven Proprietors were John MEAD, Jonathan RENALDS, John HOBBY, Joseph FERRIS, Joshua KNAPP, Angell HUSTED, and Jeffrey FERRIS.
On May 11, 1665, the General Assembly in Hartford declared Greenwich a separate township, and authorized funds for the hiring and support of an orthodox minister. In 1672, the so-called "27 Proprietors" bought land from the few remaining Indians to the west of the "Myanos River." This land became known as "Horseneck" because of the neck of land now known as Field Point was the common HORSE PASTURE. Official title was not obtained from the Indians until 1686, but the land was laid out for home lots, divided and granted to those so-called "27 Proprietors."
The town of Greenwich expanded and prospered steadily, supplying the packet boats with shipments of locally grown produce and other wares. Greenwich played an active role in the Revolutionary War. Its most famous event was the race through Greenwich by General Israel PUTNAM, who made a daring escape from the British on the morning of February 26, 1779. While the British were able to pillage and loot Greenwich, they were not able to prevent General PUTNAM from rushing to warn Stamford. General PUTNAM's tricorn hat, with a bullet hole pierced through its side, is displayed at "Putnam's Cottage," the tavern belonging to Israel KNAPP. General PUTNAM stayed in the tavern the night before his famous ride, and the site is now maintained as a museum by the DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution), and is located at 243 East Putnam Avenue, Greenwich, CT.
With the construction of the railroad in 1848, the town of Greenwich grew even more, with job possibilities opening for the young men of the community that reached far beyond its boundaries.
Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records
The Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records was named for Lucius Barnes Barbour, State Examiner of Public Records from 1911-1934, under whose direction the project was begun. Barbour had directed the publication of the Bolton and Vernon vital records by the Connecticut Historical Society in 1909. He hired several individuals to transcribe the vital records of most other Connecticut towns. Most well-known was James N. Arnold, who had previously published the Rhode Island vital records.
Barbour presented the "Arnold" transcripts to the Connecticut State Library, where the information was typed onto printed forms. These form sheets were then cut, producing 12 small slips from each sheet. The slips for most towns were then alphabetized and the information was typed a second time on large sheets of rag paper, which were bound into a separate volume for each town. The slips for all towns were then inter-filed, forming a statewide alphabetized slip index/abstract of most surviving town vital records to ca. 1850. Thus, there are two parts of the Barbour Collection: the slip index, and bound volumes for individual towns.
Statewide Slip Index/Abstract
alphabetical file, consisting of more than a million slips in index drawers, is
arranged alphabetically by name of individual and within that, chronologically.
Each slip contains a complete abstract of an event, generally a birth, marriage,
or death. Where parentage, residence, or relationship is found in the original
entry, it is included in the Barbour abstract.
At the bottom of each slip there is a citation to the original source from which the information was obtained: town, volume, and page. A list of abbreviations used may be found at in the front of each Barbour Collection bound volume. Although there is normally no more information in the original records than what appears in the abstract on the slip, researchers desiring to see the original context or verify the accuracy of the transcription may consult the original records on microfilms which are available for use at the Connecticut State Library or through LDS Family History Centers.
Yellow slips in the same file have similar entries from private sources and institutions (see Connecticut Private Records Index).
Since the bound Barbour volumes were prepared from the slips, they contain essentially the same information and the same references to the original records. However, there are some important distinctions:
* While the slip index retains the original spelling of the surname, the bound volumes consolidate surnames under one spelling, so that the original is not preserved.
* Since the bound volume is yet another generation away from the original source, the potential exists for additional errors in transcription.
* Each bound volume contains an introduction explaining the sources of information and abbreviations used.
* Bound volumes were not prepared for the towns of Bolton, Coventry, Enfield, Mansfield, New Haven, Norwich, and Vernon since published compilations of vital records had previously been prepared for these towns. However, these towns are included in the statewide slip index.
* In a few cases, such as those of Coventry and Mansfield, the Barbour slips were prepared from the published vital records, and the page references are to the published book, not to the original manuscript volume. Early Norwich and Woodstock vital records were also published; the Barbour Collection volume for New Haven only covers the years 1847-1851, and the Woodstock volume the years 1848-1866. Published vital records volumes as well as Barbour Collection bound volumes are available for Saybrook, Suffield, and Windham.
Prepared by the History and Genealogy Unit, Connecticut State Library,
Questions or comments?
Return to GoldenWest Marketing homepage