5812 Temple City Blvd., PMB705
Temple City, California 91780-2112
To pay with your credit card - click on the "Buy Now" button
Order item B151
FORMAT: PRINT ONLY
The book is 94 pages, not indexed, names listed alphabetically, soft cover with a plastic comb binding, and available for $15.98 + $3.99 shipping & handling charge (Add $1.00 S&H for each additional volume ordered).
History of Chatham
The land that comprises East Hampton was originally granted by the General Assembly to Middletown in 1662. Chatham was granted township in 1767. The name Chatham came from a shipbuilding town in England and many settlers came from Chatham, Cape Cod, which further influenced the naming of the town.
Chatham encompassed Middle Haddam, a stretch of land along the Connecticut River; Cobalt, a section of land centering around Route 66 and Depot Hill Road; as well as a large portion of land encircling Lake Pocotopaug.
It was not until 1915 that Chatham became East Hampton.
East Hampton was first settled in 1710, when Gideon Goffe and his family located in an area along the Connecticut River which later became established as the parish of Middle Haddam. Families from the locality moved eastward and settled in the hills surrounding Lake Pocotopaug, and in 1746 named their community East Hampton. In 1767, the town was incorporated as Chatham in honor of the Earl of Chatham in England for his support of the American colonies at that time. The name of the town was changed to East Hampton in 1915. Historically, bell manufacturing, mining, and shipbuilding enterprises within the town stood exemplary of early American industry.
Questions or comments?
Return to GoldenWest Marketing homepage
© 2004 GoldenWest Marketing, all rights reserved